Act 8 takes you back to the ruins of Sarn, no longer overrun only by the Undying remnants of the Eternal Empire, but also by their immortal goddesses and their newfound cults. You'll need to pick up the spirit of Doedre, the third of Malachai's students, before finding your way through the ruined city to the path back to Highgate and the corpse of the Beast.
Sarn, a Student, and the Space Sisters
You'll start out in the Sarn Encampment, the same town you visited back in Act 3. The exits are different, however: the path across the top leading to the Slums is now collapsed, and instead you'll need to enter the Toxic Conduits to search for Doedre's spirit in the fetid muck beneath Sarn.
Proceed through The Toxic Conduits and find Doedre's Cesspool, where you'll complete:
- Essence of the Hag (Mandatory): Kill Doedre so Sin can harvest her spirit. You can get a reward - a rare ring - back in town.
From this point on, Act 8 is extremely nonlinear, with two paths leading around the west and east sides of the city of Sarn. You can do these in either order.
Heading east after Doedre will bring you to the Quay. Clarissa, far from letting her love Tolman - who you found tortured to death by Piety back in Act 3 - stay dead, is after an artifact she thinks will revive him. This zone is quite confusing - you should hug the bottom of the zone throughout. Before you leave for the Grain Gate, you'll want to complete:
- Love is Dead (Effectively Mandatory): Find the Ankh of Life and return it to Clarissa (located elsewhere in the Quay, not in town) so that she can resurrect Tolman. Once you've completed the quest, return to Clarissa in town for a passive skill point.
With Clarissa's request taken care of, continue from the Quay into the Grain Gate. There's a quest you'll want to complete here, too, although it's a lot harder to miss than Love is Dead:
- The Gemling Legion (Effectively Mandatory): Find and kill the Gemling Legion located somewhere in the Grain Gate. They're a pack of big black-armoured guys, and your quest will update once you find them. Kill them and return to Maramoa in town for a skill point.
Past the Grain Gate you'll emerge into The Imperial Fields. There are no quests to complete here, so work your way north to enter the Solaris Temple, Level 1 via a different route than the one you used back in Act 3. Make sure to find the Waypoint here before moving on, or you'll risk a rather long walk back.
Find the Solaris Temple, Level 2 entrance and head down to the bottom to complete:
- Solar Eclipse (Mandatory): Find and kill Dawn, Harbinger of Solaris, and pick up the Sun Orb. This is one of the two pieces you'll find to fight the final bosses of Act 8: Solaris and Lunaris, the twin sun-and-moon goddesses of the Eternal Empire.
Once you've beaten Dawn, you can head back to Doedre's Cesspool to access the other half of the act (or can proceed to the final section, if you did West Sarn first).
Head west from the waypoint in Doedre's Cesspool to find the Grand Promenade. There's nothing to complete in this zone, just make your way to the end of it and enter The Bath House.
The Bath House contains a few points of interest as well as forking off into other zones you'll want to access. First off, you'll want to complete the Trial of Ascendancy found in the upper and western portion of the map. You can also complete:
- The Wings of Vastiri (Optional): Find the Wings of Vastiri in the Bath House and return it to Hargan in town. The reward here is a specific Unique Jewel, which is usually not of much value - the exception is if you're playing a support build, in which case this quest (and its Reduced Mana Reserved jewel) is mandatory.
There are two routes out of the Bath House. You'll want to find the Lunaris Concourse first, enter it, and find the waypoint there before backtracking into the Bath House (which should not have had time to reset). Find the High Gardens entrance in The Bath House, enter the Gardens, and complete:
- Reflection of Terror (Effectively Mandatory): Find and kill Yugul, the Vaal god of fear, in the High Gardens. You'll be rewarded with a skill point and with a new option on your Pantheon.
Take the waypoint back to the Lunaris Concourse (formerly the Ebony Barracks from Act 3), and enter the renewed Lunaris Temple - which looks a bit different than you might remember it from Act 3! Apparently, Lunaris has some seriously talented interior decorators, because the place is a soothing tasteful blue as opposed to Piety's largely-corpse-based decor.
Within the Lunaris Temple, Level 2, complete:
- Lunar Eclipse (Mandatory): Find and kill Dusk, Harbinger of Lunaris, and take the Moon Orb. This is one of the two pieces you'll find to fight the final bosses of Act 8: Solaris and Lunaris, the twin sun-and-moon goddesses of the Eternal Empire.
Once you've beaten Dusk, you can head back to Doedre's Cesspool to access the other half of the act (or can proceed to the final section, if you did East Sarn first).
Return to the Lunaris Concourse, but this time head southeast to The Harbour Bridge, the great bridge across Sarn's main river that was blocked off back in Act 3. In the center of the bridge, between the areas controlled by Solaris and Lunaris fanatics, you'll find The Sky Shrine. Enter it with the Sun Orb and Moon Orb to fight Solaris and Lunaris, the feuding sister goddesses of Sarn:
- Solar Eclipse / Lunar Eclipse (Mandatory): Kill Solaris and Lunaris. You'll be rewarded with two new Pantheon powers (one for each goddess) and access to Act 9.